Prevention is Better than Cure
Looking after your skin is something you should do all year round, rather than just in anticipation of the summer. Eating well and using the right skin care products will keep your skin healthy and more ready to deal with the effects of sunshine.
1) Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep. An imbalance of any of these can affect your complexion and general well-being.
2) Take Exercise. Exercise promotes the flushing away of toxins out of the body and encourages it to produce the right amount of sebum; a chemical that lubricates the skin and keeps it supple.
3) Avoid drinking and smoking. Drinking in excess can harm and prematurely age the skin, as can smoking.
Skin Condition Sunshine Tips
1) Avoid harsh soap. Soap dries out the skin and can exacerbate the condition.
2) Moisturise regularly. As the sun dries your skin out, replace lost moisture with a gentle and perfume-free moisturiser.
3) Avoid the sea. Seawater is very salty, which can seriously dry out your skin. Also beware of swimming pools that use chlorine, as it can have the same effect.
1) Moisturise regularly. Psoriasis sufferers need to keep their skin hydrated – especially in the summer.
2) Limit your sunbathing. While moderate exposure to the sun can have beneficial effects, over-exposure can be painful. Be sure to wear sun-screen of a factor appropriate to your complexion and apply it once every two hours.
1) Limit your sunbathing. If you are taking skin care medicine or using certain products, they can make the skin very sensitive and susceptible to burning. Moderate your bathing and wear sun screen.
2) Don’t exfoliate. Anything abrasive is likely to encourage your body to produce more sebum, which can then spread the bacteria and cause more spots.
If in Doubt
If you are unsure as how to best manage your skin condition in the summer, it might be best to seek professional advice. Skin clinics have access to specialist medicines and medical technology that can help you manage or even get rid of your skin condition and enjoy the summer sunshine.
Gill Grozier – sk:n was established in 1990 and is the UK’s leading provider of skincare conditions treatment and products including: skin conditions, laser hair removal and laser treatments such as hair removal and laser tattoo removal.